Saturday, June 11, 2005

 

The Winery at Holy Cross Abbey (Colorado) June 4, 2005

I'm not going to do a comprehensive tasting of The Winery at Holy Cross Abbey for a couple of weeks. They are scheduled to come to the Powers Liquor Mart in a couple of weeks, then I'll get to
taste more. I have actually tasted a good assortment of their wines, but I didn't take notes on what we tasted, I do remember that their Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon was my favorite from their Harvest Festival last September. If you get a chance, it's a fun event to attend.


The Silver Medal winning 2004 Riesling was my first pick. Blue bottle? Oh well, that must be the American style. This wine is a very light gold almost clear color with medium weight legs. Has hints of sweet honey on the nose. Nice depth on this one and very smooth. Excellent finish stays clean. Good stuff. Grade: B


And the last wine tasted for the 2005 Manitou Springs Festival of Colorado Wines is the Gold Medal winning 2003 Reserve Merlot. This wine has a somewhat sweet nose with medium legs. Good fruit flavors and especially cherry mix together with the right amount of oak to form a smooth velvety wine. This wine has a nice finish that is smooth and long. There really is good merlot out there! I'm not normally a merlot lover, but I have found a few outstanding examples of it. What a great wine to close a great festival. Grade: B+

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?