Friday, June 10, 2005

 

Balistreri Vineyards (Colorado) June 4, 2005

Balistreri, what more can I say? From the wax to seal the bottles, to the unfiltered, unsulfited classic styles, Balistreri was one of the top on my list to taste. They have one of the few vineyards on the front range, and the only one in Denver. After visiting their website I was totally excited to finally get to taste their wines. Due to the crowd being so large I only tasted two of their wines, and I also knew they were going to be at Total Beverage as well, so I didn't have to get them all in at one time.


They offer two different syrah wines, so why not compare them? The first was the 2002 Syrah. If I heard correctly, this wine was sourced from California grapes. This wine has medium legs with a deep red coloring. Has a good combination of fruit and earth on the nose. This wine is smooth and dry and slightly too earthy for me. Has a decent finish. Grade: B


Next was the 2003 Colorado Syrah. This one is sourced from 100% Colorado grapes. This one had a darker almost purple coloring with medium legs. Big hints of deep dark fruit on the nose. Blackberry and cherry mix together with spice and a full body to create a delectable syrah. It has a long dry finish. Grade: B+

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?