Tuesday, June 07, 2005

 

Amber Ridge Vineyards (Colorado) June 4, 2005

The first wines we tasted when we got to the 2005 Manitou Springs Festival of Colorado Wines were from Amber Ridge Vineyards. I believe that owners Gene and Lorinda Corley were both there serving up samples of their wines. I heard him explaining to some of the guests that his wines contain no sulfites, so according to him, no headaches with this wine. If you have that problem (not always attributable to sulfur though) these wines would be for you to try. They were pouring three wines, a cabernet sauvignon, a chardonnay, and a merlot.


What did I want taste first? Cabernet sauvignon of course (I'm a red wine guy myself). They were pouring their 2001 Estate Bottled Cabernet Sauvignon. It's a deep red color with heavy legs. It has fruit on the nose but with a distinct dryness there too. It's in a fruit forward style with a slight oakiness that complement each other well. Overall it's clean and dry with a medium finish. I'm not a big fan of cab, but I liked this one. Grade: B


Next I tried their white offering of the day, their 2000 Chardonnay. It has a nice golden amber color with quick legs. Hints of melon and oak dominate the nose. The flavors are no surprise being mostly light melons and oak, but it's not overoaked. Has a medium length finish. This is a nice refreshing and light chardonnay. Grade: B


What's left but the 2001 Estate Bottled Merlot. This one had a nice dark red coloring with heavy legs. Scents of berries and cherries on the nose. This wine is meaty and earthy with some cherry flavors and is dry. It would probably go nicely with barbecue. Grade: C+


What's my overall impression of Amber Ridge? I liked what I tasted for the most part. It had good flavors and was clean and nice to drink.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?